2013 Synod Convention
Circuit Meeting Requirements to Elect Synod Convention Delegates
Circuit counselors are responsible for following required procedure in the election of delegates by a properly called electoral circuit forum (Bylaw 5.3.3) according to the election process outlined in Bylaw 184.108.40.206.
· Each electoral circuit (one or two adjacent visitation circuits) must meet at the call of the circuit counselor(s) not later than nine (9) months prior to the convention, October 20, 2012 (Bylaw 220.127.116.11 [a-d]).
· Circuit congregations must be informed well in advance of the date of the electoral circuit forum in order to provide ample opportunity to: (1) determine which pastor (if necessary) and which layperson (one from each congregation in a multiple-congregation parish) shall represent them at the forum (Bylaw 5.3.2); (2) nominate one layperson from a congregation of the circuit as a candidate for election as delegate or alternate delegate to the natjonal convention; and (3) submit the name of the nominated layperson to the circuit counselor prior to the day of the circuit forum (Bylaw 18.104.22.168 [e]).
· The names of laypersons submitted prior to the day of the circuit forum constitute the slate of candidates for the lay delegate and alternate lay delegate elections (note: Bylaw 22.214.171.124 [e] does not permit floor nominations). All pastors of the electoral circuit who are not advisory members of the Synod under Article V B of the Constitution are eligible for pastoral delegate and alternate delegate elections (Bylaw 126.96.36.199 [d]).
· Each congregation of the circuit is represented at the electoral circuit forum by its designated layperson and its pastor. In cases of multiple-congregation parishes, the pastor represents all congregations he serves (Bylaw 5.3.2), having only one vote.
· The election process provided by Bylaw 188.8.131.52 must be carefully followed throughout, including the use of written ballots for all elections. Election results must be reported in writing to the secretary of the district on forms provided (attached) immediately following the meeting (Bylaw 184.108.40.206 [i]).
An electronic auto-fill version of the report form is available from the LCMS website at: www.lcms.org/ConventionRegistrations.